Upgrade Zorin OS
You will need…
A computer capable of running Zorin OS. View system requirements
A USB flash drive with enough capacity for your Zorin OS copy:
An external hard drive or cloud storage for backup. (optional)
Download your new copy of Zorin OS.
If you haven't already downloaded your new copy of Zorin OS, you will need to get it from the Download page to proceed.
Back up your data.
Please back up your important data and files to an external hard drive or cloud storage service. After upgrading Zorin OS, you will be able to copy this data to your new installation.
Create an Install Drive.
To create an Install Drive of Zorin OS, you will need your USB flash drive and an app called balenaEtcher.
Creating the Install Drive will erase all contents on the USB flash drive. We would recommend you to use an empty USB flash drive or back up the contents of your USB flash drive before following the steps below.
- Insert the USB flash drive into your computer.
Double-click on the balenaEtcher download file to run the app.
- On Linux. If you downloaded the ".zip" file for balenaEtcher, you may need to right-click on the .zip file and select "Extract Here". Afterwards, please open the newly-extracted folder and double-click on the balenaEtcher ".AppImage" file to run the app.
- Press "Flash from file" to choose your downloaded Zorin OS ".iso" file.
- Press "Select target" and choose the correct USB flash drive from the list.
- Press "Flash!" to begin writing Zorin OS to the USB flash drive.
- After a few minutes, the USB flash drive will be ready for booting into Zorin OS.
Boot from the Install Drive.
In order to upgrade Zorin OS, you must boot your computer from the USB Install Drive.
- Make sure that the written USB Install Drive is plugged into your computer.
- Switch the computer on.
- On a PC. Immediately upon startup, press the indicated key repeatedly to open the Boot Device Menu. If you are unsure which key to press, it is usually either Esc, Delete, F12, or another function key. From the Boot Device Menu, select the option with "USB" in its title to boot from the Install Drive.
- On a Mac. Immediately upon startup, press and hold the Option key. Now, select the USB Install Drive as the boot drive. Sometimes the Install Drive might be incorrectly identified as "Windows", which is normal.
- Select the "Try or Install Zorin OS" option from the Zorin OS welcome menu.
If you have a modern NVIDIA graphics card. You can select the "Try or Install Zorin OS (modern NVIDIA drivers)" in order to boot and install with the official NVIDIA proprietary graphics drivers.
Note: The NVIDIA version 470 proprietary drivers are used.
- If you have a modern NVIDIA graphics card. You can select the "Try or Install Zorin OS (modern NVIDIA drivers)" in order to boot and install with the official NVIDIA proprietary graphics drivers.
- While booting, Zorin OS will check the USB Install Drive to ensure there aren't any defects on the filesystem. We would recommend you to not skip this check the first time you use the USB Install Drive. This helps prevent issues while installing Zorin OS to your computer.
Prepare your Hard Drive Partition
To upgrade your Zorin OS installation, you must free the space on your hard drive which is currently reserved for your current installation of Zorin OS.
- Please click the "Try Zorin OS" option in order to use the full Zorin OS desktop and partition the hard drive correctly.
- As soon as you reach the new Zorin OS desktop, open the partitioning app by clicking on the Zorin Menu and going to "System Tools" > "GParted".
- In the partition list, right-click on the "linux-swap" partition and select "Swapoff".
- Right-click again on the "linux-swap" partition and select "Delete".
- Your current installation of Zorin OS should be present on an "ext4" partition. Right click on it and select to "Delete" it as well.
- Press the button at the top of the app to apply these changes.
- After the changes have been applied, please close the GParted app.
Install your New Copy of Zorin OS.
Complete the installation of your new copy of Zorin OS.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to start the installation.
- When prompted, please connect to the Internet (if possible) in order to make sure all necessary software is downloaded during the installation process.
- You should reach a step titled "Installation type".
- If you have another operating system installed on your computer (dual boot). Select the "Install Zorin alongside [your other operating system] " option and press "Next" to use the newly-created free space on the hard drive for the new installation of Zorin OS.
- If you only have Zorin OS installed on your computer. Select the "Erase disk and install Zorin" option and press "Install Now".
- Continue following the on-screen instructions to complete the installation process.
Copy your data to the new installation of Zorin OS.
After restarting into your new installation of Zorin OS, you may now copy the data from your previous installation of Zorin OS. Transfer the files you saved to your external hard drive or cloud storage service onto your new installation.